Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Hemingway method...

"Best of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout streams
And above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be a part of them forever"


Ernest Hemingway - Idaho - 1939

This is written on the Hemingway memorial in Ketchum, Idaho where Hemingway now sleeps. He killed himself using a double barrel shot gun to remove the top of his head. Needless to say it worked.

He blamed ECT(Electroconvulsive therapy AKA: electroshock) of taking his memories and must have felt that death is better than a life you can't remember. I have always had a "bad" memory, I can't remember most thing before I was 14. I don't know why. I have been told that it is because of a tragic event that happened to me caused by one of my siblings.

I don't much believe in psycho-babble but that is not the point! The simple point is this, Is it better to live with out memories; versus death? Should I even care that I can't remember? I mean if my mind shut out 14 years of my life maybe it's better that I don't know, right?

Just a thought.

No comments: