Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The man that isn't there.

"As I was going up the stair
I met a man who wasn't there;
He wasn't there again today!
I wish, I wish he'd stay away."

-HUGHES MEARNS-

I first heard this poem when I was 12, I can remember thinking it made no sense and I was wrong. Because I met a man who wasn't there just to day. Now before you lock me up I didn't see him, but I know he is there. He is like a sore on the top of my mouth that I can never be rid of.

He is the one who begs me to take that first drink. Whispering in my ear It's just one beer... You can handle it now... and I always give in to him. I know in my heart I am going to end up fucking my life up a little more, but still I listen. He has such a way with words...

"The wine urges me on, the bewitching wine, which sets even a wise man to singing and to laughing gently and rouses him up to dance and brings forth words which were better unspoken."
Homer, The Odyssey
Greek epic poet (800 BC - 700 BC)

No comments: