Sunday, September 7, 2008

Book one: The Late Chapter - Preface pg1

Preface:

"It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."


I once saw a picture of a boat that was sinking into the sea. The scene was of chaos, the boat was an old steam ship and looked vary much like the famous Titanic. It was in the grip of a dark storm and was more under the water than above it. There where jagged, black rocks all around; No doubt, to threaten the remaining life of the broken ship. At the vary bottom of the picture the caption read, "It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others."

When I think about that ship, I pity her now. Oh, but there have been times that I could see how easy it is to relate with that old rusty ship. Alone, in that darkness, and the only people who see it turn away when there gaze falls on the broken vessel. Watching them pass by safe, and happy, but having to remain in that dangerous place.

Maybe, just maybe in the deepest parts of that black and red ship it smiles. Smiles at all the faces that her death has saved and finds peace in that knowledge. What a great legacy that must be, to be remembered as the one who died saving others. Think of all the people who have failed to make that kind of impact on the world.

I would like to be remember that way...

But I must also remember those who have tried to be a warning to others and have been forgotten. I wonder if the Mayans can see us now, do they believe they made a difference? Or are they more like the people of Jones town? 908 of them died and the only warring they left us with is that you should not drink Cool-Aid given by Jim Jones.

I wonder what will my death leave this world, will I be a humble and battered ship or a follower of a Mad man? Perhaps I wont even get that lucky! I could just fade in to history as the countless before me have with only a stone and obituary to be remembered by. Cold rock and dusty paper... In kindness mother nature might even use my body to feed a beautiful flower.

I think I would like that. I think I could be happy knowing that my death created and withstood a thing of beauty.

Sincerely,
SparrowSM

No comments: